Friday, March 18, 2011

Dog of the Week - Deebo!

The dog of my dreams - Deebo!

I first saw Deebo about two weeks ago when he was still in dog holding - that is where the dogs stay before they are put up for adoption. They get vet checked, behavior checked, and get a chance to be picked up by their owner if they are a stray. I was walking dogs, as usual, and I saw David, the dog holding guy, walking this amazingly huge, scary-looking dog. It was love at first sight. The dog looked so calm and walked to well on the leash. I thought to myself, "Oh man, what a cool dog! WANT! Too bad he's probably too strong for me and probably too hyper/energetic."

This week, I saw they added Deebo to the adoptable dogs list. I was like WHOA! I made my way over to the shelter in hopes that Deebo needed a walk. When I arrived, he DID need a walk. I was kind of intimidated. He's a BIG dog. And the staff was saying he was a pit-mastiff mix. Turns out he's actually a cane corso mix - a type of Italian mastiff. However, I had read his description on the website, and it said he was a sweetheart. So, I walked him.

OH MY GOSH! I LOVE this dog! He was great on the leash. He pulled a couple of times, but despite his being at least 100 lbs, I was able to control him. He responded very well to correction. He knows how to sit. He's house trained. I went into his kennel to cuddle him, and he's an EXCELLENT cuddler. Sniffing in my pockets for treats, pawing at me for attention, laying across my lap, showing his belly for a rub. If I could have this dog, I would.

I have a thing for dogs who look really scary but are actually really sweet. I like the paradox of it. Oh Deebo - if only you could be my dog!

No comments:

Post a Comment