Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Thanksgiving

Last Thursday was Thanksgiving.

I went to my parents' house on Wednesday (hooray for a 5 day break from work) to make pies.  I've been making pumpkin pies with my dad on Thanksgiving Eve for... a long time!  This year we made some fantastic pies with the help of my little cousins, Mary and Emily.

What we did differently:
1. We put the pumpkin through a food mill.  This made it SUPER smooth.  No one likes a chunky pumpkin pie.
2. We added an extra secret ingredient (and by secret I mean accidental) - nutmeg!

Honestly, I think these were the best pies we ever made.  Here is a picture of what's leftover in my fridge.  I've been eating it for breakfast for almost a week!



There were lots of guests at my parents' house for Thanksgiving this year: me and Louie, of course, my brother, Pete, and my sister-in-law, Sandy, my Aunt Kammie (and inside baby Samantha) and Uncle Rob, my Aunt Sheila and Uncle Daniel along with their girls, Mary and Emily, and  my dear Uncle Dave.  It was really nice to see everyone.  I am happiest in the presence of my family, and I cherish every minute I get to spend with them.  They are all truly amazing people!

Before we had our turkey dinner, Lou and I had to make an appearance at "Chinese Thanksgiving" at The New Moon restaurant.  Louie's high-school friend's parents own this little Chinese restaurant in Clinton Township.  Every Thanksgiving they cook a feast of traditional Chinese dishes and have all of their family and friends take part.  Lou has been part of this for a number of years, and I have been lucky enough to attend the last two years.  It is so fun to visit with Alan, his parents, and any other of Lou's high-school friends that dribble in (Ed and Vicki :) )  This was the spread.  Mind you, there were 2 tables of this size set up along with at least three smaller round tables.



Then, we made our way back to my parent's house for the traditional Thanksgiving meal, too much pie, a cozy fire, and some games.  It was a busy, but wonderful day.  I wish I had taken photos!

No comments:

Post a Comment