Saturday, February 12, 2011

The Windy City is Windy!

Howdy folks!

Sorry for my absence the last week. Lots goin' on! Let's update you on last weekend's trip to Chicago... Ready?

It all began on December 25, 2010. Louie and I decided that we weren't going to spend a lot of money on Christmas presents for each other because we wanted to buy a super nice camera. Well, we both failed. My gift ended up being a two night stay at the Hyatt Regency in Chicago, highlighted by an performance of Les Miserables. WOO!

So, we left last Friday night after work. Stopped for a quick bite at Wendy's. I'm a little suspicious of the apples that were in my salad. They didn't really taste like apples. Sure, the texture was right, but I have a feeling they were dunked into something to keep them from browning, and that something was supposed to taste like "apples". Anyway, it filled me up.

We arrived at our super awesome hotel around 10:00 pm. Our suite (yes, my awesome husband got us a suite!) was up on the 19th floor. Oh my gosh, you guys! It had double doors! It was the coolest thing ever!

Also, the shower was AMAZING! I love hotel showers.


Anyway, we totally slept way in on Saturday and got moving around lunch time. We visited the Art Institute of Chicago. Awesome. I was super excited to see all of the famous artwork, like the picture from Ferris Bueller's Day Off - A Sunday Afternoon on the Island of La Grande Jatte- and I refused to leave until we found it.


Finding that piece was the best thing ever, though, because it led us into the Monet room. Monet is my favorite painter. I love how up close you can see every brush stroke and the colors don't really make sense. But when you step back, the blobs of paint become an image that looks so real and so beautiful you wish you were there. I wonder what the world looked like through Monet's eyes. I am super jealous of his garden. I have just now decided, yup, at this very moment, that visiting his garden is one of my life goals. OK, time to get to work on that...


Later that night, we went to see Les Miserables. I have never seen this musical - only heard a couple of the songs. It was beautiful and exciting and amazing - of course. There was this kid sitting in front of us who couldn't sit still. Poor guy. I think it was a mixture of being super excited about the play and then being super bored. Obviously, he was really annoying some of the other people sitting in front of us. Oh well. I'm still on the kid's side on this one. I know what it's like to want to move when you can't! Then, after intermission, some chick sat behind us who was an "expert" on the play. After every song, during the applause, she decided she was going to make "smart" comments to her friend. At the final standing ovation, she wouldn't shut up! AH!

Oh well. The play was awesome, despite our interesting companions in the audience.

Sunday morning was brilliant. We met up with our friend, Peter, over in Hyde Park. He took us to The Original Pancake House. Best. Food. Ever. Wow.

Then, we headed back home.

It was an awesome weekend, and a great Christmas present. It is so nice to be able to escape and relax for a few days. Ahhhh, thank you, Louie!

Next trip to Chicago:
Date - TBD (hopefully when it's actually warm)
Activities - Shedd Aquarium, Morten Arb (so I can see my buddy, Sara!), shopping on the Magnificent Mile, Comedy Show (as recommended by Peter) followed by dinner at an awesome restaurant (also recommended by Peter)

Now, we just need to save up some dollars...

No comments:

Post a Comment