Saturday, January 15, 2011

How much is that googie in da window?

"Come here Kaylee!  Come on!  Come here! .... Good girl!... Leave it... Leave it... Gooooood girl!  Sit!  Siiit... Sit.  GO!  GO GET IT!"

This is what you hear over and over in the dog play yards at the Humane Society of Huron Valley (HSHV) where I've been walking dogs for just over a year.  It's been a roller coaster of a ride.  I've experienced pure joy and heartache.  I've gotten covered in mud and bitten.  I've been snuggled and licked.  Despite everything that's happened, each time I go in to see my doggie friends, my heart beats a little faster, and I have to reign myself it so I am not running down the hall to see them.

This journey into the world of animal shelters began in the winter of 2008.  A dear friend of mine's sister had found a stray cat in a dumpster.  "Fluffy" and he was later called, became a fast friend to everyone he encountered.  He was an excellent snuggler, and a cute little guy.  I was called in for cat sitting over the Christmas holiday from school.  It was then I noticed he was sick - coughing, snotty, loose stools, super skinny.  This poor little guy needed to see a vet!  So, I scheduled him an appointment with my vet, and my friend as well as one of our mutual friends came with us.

We found out that Fluffy was still a baby - just over a year old.  He had a bad ear mite problem and an upper respiratory infection.  Because he had come off the streets and was in such bad shape, the vet decided to to a Feline Leukemia test.  As we sat in the room, waiting for the results, we kept telling ourselves he was negative. He would be fine, and we'd get through this.

Unfortunately, we were wrong.  The test came back positive.  Poor Fluffy had a terminal illness.  The best option at this point was to euthanize him.  I have always been against animal euthanasia unless it's a seriously severe case.  With Fluffy, we could have gotten meds to fix him up.  He could have lived in a single cat home with this disease until it took him.  However, he was already so sick, he was not my cat - I had a cat, and thus could not nurse him back to a "healthy" state at my apartment - and we were all college students - how could we afford a sick cat?

That afternoon we put Fluffy down.  We stayed by his side and petted him as he went to sleep.  It was a horrible day.  Both my friend and I felt so sad that this had to happen.  How could people just leave animals out on the street where they can get so ill?  How could we change things so that these animals didn't have to suffer?

It took me a year, but finally I got into the HSHV volunteer training program.  I knew I couldn't help every animal.  I didn't have the time or the means to do so, but I could help THESE animals.  These animals that had been surrendered or abandoned or abused - I could do something for them to make their life a little better until they found new homes.  I found solace in this.

After a rigorous training course and 10 hours of cleaning duty, I graduated to the next level.  I could be a "Cat Cuddler" or a "Dog Walker".  This was a tough choice!  I am definitely a crazy cat lady.  Everyone knows it.  However, I've been wanting a dog for way too long.  So, I figured since I had cats to cuddle at home, I would be a dog walker to fulfill my need to have dogs in my life.  It worked!

It has been SO fun to meet all of the new dogs, get to know them, spend time with them, and help get them into new homes.  Each dog has a unique personality and needs.  It is SO fun to play fetch in the play yard, to chase and be chased, and to snuggle up together for a good petting session.  These are the good days.

Every now and then it gets rough.  When all of the kennels are full, when all of the dogs are barking, when a dog is shaking in the corner - those are the hard days.  Those poor dogs!  It makes you angry, and it makes you wonder.  How come there are so many homeless dogs?  How can people just give up their 10 year old dog because they're moving - don't they even consider how the dog will feel?  How can people box up two 50 lb dogs together in a super tiny crate and leave them on the side of the road?  How come we get TRUCK-LOADS of unwanted dogs from the southern states?  What a horrible ride that must be for them on top of their emotional loss!  These are the days I don't want to be there.

You can't think about it.  You grab the leash and walk.  Walk walk walk.  It's all you can do.  Get the dog out of the chaos and have some fun.  That's the only thing that makes you feel more hopeful.  When the dog's tail comes out from between it's legs and starts wagging - when they begin to prance - when they chase the ball and bound back to you smiling - that makes it better.  That's why I go.

I have not met a bad dog.  Yes, there are difficult dogs, but there are no bad dogs.  Each of these dogs is deserving of a wonderful home.  They've been through so much, and the visitors don't often seem to realize that.  It's frustrating.  But if you can get the dog out of there and into a good home, even if the visitors don't realize what they're doing when they adopt - it makes you feel better.  The dog has a chance.  It will all be OK.

It's been sad to see some of my favorites leave.  Scrappy, the pit bull/ Great Dane puppy - who I bonded with last winter- got a home after 6 months of being the shelter.  I missed seeing him every week, but I knew I didn't have to worry about him anymore.  Donnie and Marie - the pits who were in the crate by the side of the road and refused to walk their first day at the shelter because they were so scared - they've got homes now.  Their huge pit smiles can shine on and bring joy to someone else.


This is Baby Zac. He's been at the shelter since he was 2 months old. He's 4 months now, and I'm wondering how much longer he'll be with us...

To meet all the other googies visit http://www.hshv.org/AdoptableDogs

I've learned so much!  I've learned how to handle a rough pit bull.  I've learned that euthanasia is an unsavory, yet necessary practice, and I've come to terms with it.  I've learned patience.  I've learned joy.  I've learned sorrow.  But most of all, I learned what I could do to help.


1 comment: